Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Working Wednesday: Just In Time for the Holidays!


Our first holiday fair is right around the corner, and I have to admit I’m getting a little nervous. We visited another holiday fair last weekend (and I did my best to spend money supporting local artists and craftpeople!), and now I’m a bit intimidated by how professional most of the booths looked.

I did have to laugh at myself a little for noticing all kinds of things, good and bad but mostly good, that I never would have paid attention to before launching Foster’s Beauties: 


  • Table skirts that didn’t come to the ground and let the vendor’s bins and supplies show underneath; 
  • How most vendors managed to get their merchandise vertical;
  • Some really inventive displays, including using cookie sheets standing on end to show off magnets.


But mostly I panicked because how are we going to show off all our beautiful items on a single 6-foot table?!

In preparation for the craft fair and the holidays in general, it recently occurred to me that I could make kanzashi dragonfly magnets in Christmas colors. And Chanukah colors too! It’s the first time I ever tried to make the dragonflies mostly identical, with just a few variations on the glitterboard and wire colors.

One of Ellie's favorite holiday books was Chanukah Bugs, so in honor of that beloved book, I'm calling these guys Holiday Bugs.










And then I made some in gold and silver, figuring they would be good for both holidays as well as elegant party favors for weddings or events. (New Year’s Eve party, anyone? Or Oscar party?)

What do you think?

And going with the same naming idea, these are Glam Bugs. Aren't they elegant looking?


Meanwhile, I’m going to drive Scott crazy by taping out the space on our dining room table (which, unlike most people I know, we actually use to eat because there’s no room for a table in our kitchen) and start playing with displays to figure out what looks good and what else we need prop-wise.

Hope your holiday preparations are going well. Leave me comments and let me know what you’re working on this month!


No comments:

Post a Comment