Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Working Wednesday: Small Steps Add Up

Scott continues to make progress on his stave project. He has now joined the top and bottom sections, and is pondering going with a wenge base and top lip, or putting a thin layer of the pinkish-colored pear wood and then wenge.

Remember, the wood at the bottom is cherry and not actually part of the piece.
Meanwhile, I'm trying to figure out a name for it. Aren't those whorls of wood grain on the Oregon black walnut gorgeous? I'm considering calling it Storm Front, but if you have other ideas, I'd love to hear them!

It's amazing to me how some of Scott's projects come together seemingly so quickly (although I'm still comparing turned pieces to the amount of time it took to make a single piece of furniture) so I can see the piece evolve.

Another view:

Ignore the messy glue on the joints -- that will all be turned or sanded off! But isn't it a neat interior view?






I can't wait to see how that grain is going to pop when it has finish on it!

Hope your week is going well!


No comments:

Post a Comment