Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Trying New Things

I love beads almost as much as I love fabric, but I've never worked much with beads.

Somewhere, I recently came across a link to Robin Atkins' blog, Beadlust. And oh, did it make me want to have even 1 percent of her talent! Well, that's probably never going to happen, but I did download a book she offers for free on her website, and I borrowed a book she co-wrote from the library: Beaded Embellishment: Techniques & Designs for Embroidering on Cloth

I'm so buying this book when my budget allows! It has great photos, great step-by-step directions, and an amazing gallery of beadwork by incredibly talented artists that make fabulous inspiration about what is possible to do with beads.

I was particularly inspired by the beaded button project, partly because I really liked the small nature of the projects.

Here's a photo of the page of examples:


Aren't they gorgeous?

I played around with some of the stitch lessons in the book and was delighted to learn how to make beaded fringe, something I've never managed before despite a teacher explaining it in an online class I took.

Then I launched into my first beaded button! I'd picked up the Dritz half-ball cover button kits at a great sale at Jo-Ann's, which was the only necessary supply I didn't have on hand already.

So here's my first try:


 I definitely have plenty of practice ahead of me if I want to reach that 1 percent of Robin Atkins' talent, but despite its flaws, I'm kind of happy with it. It reminds me, a little, of the eye on a peacock feather.

I wouldn't have had the courage to start a major beading project, but a 1.5-inch diameter pin was definitely less intimidating than a bigger canvas would have been.

What kinds of new things have you tried doing lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment